Company: Hospital for Special Care
Location: New Britain
Posted on: September 21, 2022
- Required: American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED
- Required: Quarterly demonstration of physical lifeguarding
skills (see Physical Demands #9 below)
- Required: 6 months experience as a lifeguard or equivalent swim
- Preferred: High School Diploma
- JOB SUMMARY
- The Aquatic Rehab Center Lifeguard is responsible for the
prevention of accidents, safety, emergency and lifesaving
interventions, and the protection of human life at HSCs Aquatic
Rehab Center while on duty.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Transfer patient or member 30% of each shift.
- Stand or walk 20%-40% of each shift.
- Sit 60%-80% of each shift.
- Perform physical skills including lifting, reaching, bending,
twisting, kneeling, squatting, climbing, and pushing/pulling up to
60% of each shift.
- Able to run and swim short distances as related to rescue
techniques on rare occasion.
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis.
- Grasp with both hands on frequent basis to handle equipment and
assist patients and members.
- Fine hand manipulation with one hand is required on occasional
basis to manipulate small objects.
- Maintain the ability to demonstrate physical lifeguarding
skills such as 500-yard swim, brick retrieval with a 40-yard swim,
submerged victim rescue, passive and active victim rescue, spinal
- COGNITIVE DEMANDS
- Job requires continuous alertness required to observe swimmers,
conforming with established rules, and standards of practice to
insure swimmer safety and prevent accidents, drownings.
- Job requires familiarity with general medical terms and
- Job requires basic writing proficiency needed for written
reports including accident/incident reports and the ability to
express self clearly.
- Job requires problem-solving skills needed for critical
decision making regarding appearance, behavior of swimmers and
determining the need for any type of lifeguarding/lifesaving
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, on deck and
surrounding areas. Prevents accidents by maintaining constant
observation of the pool area, and effectively implements
lifeguarding, lifesaving, first aid measures, using appropriate
- Adheres to and enforces regulations, policies, standards of
practice and procedures for safety, infection control, maintenance
- Educates patients and members; providing information about
safety and accident prevention.
- Participates in equipment management, set up, use, care,
storage and maintenance.
- Responsible for carrying out opening and/or closing procedures
- Recognizes and responds effectively to safety and emergency
Keywords: Hospital for Special Care, New Britain , LIFEGUARD-PER DIEM, Other , New Britain, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!